Dreaded gangster Vikas Dubey was shot dead in an encounter early morning on Friday while the Uttar Pradesh Special Task Force (STF) was bringing him back by road from Ujjain to Kanpur.

The UP Police said the car in which he was being brought back over-turned after an accident around 6:30 AM in Bhauti, just 30 minutes short of Kanpur city. Dubey snatched a pistol from STF men who were injured in the accident and tried to flee, the police said. Police added that Dubey was surrounded and asked to surrender but he opened fire on the police and was shot in retaliation. The STF took him to a hospital in Kanpur and doctors declared him brought dead. He was shot in the chest.

Dubey was nabbed by security guards outside Ujjain’s Mahakaleshwar Temple in MP on Thursday, 6 days after he escaped from Kanpur’s Chaubeypur after his gang allegedly gunned down eight policemen. The UP police later reached Ujjain and were bringing him back by road after starting from Ujjain around 8 PM last night. Five of his key henchmen had also been killed in encounters by the UP Police over the last one week.

In Ujjain, a shopkeeper who identified Dubey after he landed at the temple around 7 am on Thursday had alerted security guards by the time Dubey entered the temple premises after buying a ‘VIP Darshan’ ticket. The security agency tracked him on CCTV and stopped him while he was exiting the temple. He admitted to his identity after some arguments. The Ujjain police took him away along with his accomplices Bittu and Suresh.

During interrogation, Dubey allegedly admitted he was tipped off by some policemen about the raid on the night of July 2 and that he wanted to burn bodies of the eight cops his gang had gunned down.

MP’s BJP government claimed credit for the ‘arrest’, but Congress’ Digvijaya Singh said it looked like an organised surrender to save Dubey from an encounter. Ex-CM Kamal Nath asked why a gangster entered MP to give himself up.

Dubey dodged the UP, Haryana, Rajasthan and MP police for 6 days and travelled 1,300 km across the states despite an alert. He escaped from Chaubeypur in the wee hours of July 3 to stay in Shivli in Kanpur for two days. He left for Faridabad, where he stayed for three days and escaped to Rajasthan. MP home minister Narottam Mishra said Dubey arrived in Ujjain by road from Kota and carried a fake identity card to hoodwink the police.

Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here