Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday lauded the welfare measures undertaken by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) during the nationwide lockdown due to Covid-19 pandemic as seven state units of the party gave a presentation of their work during a video conference.
Reviewing the relief work done by the party’s Bihar unit during the ‘Seva Hi Sangathan’ meet, Modi said that some believed that Covid-19 will spread more in east India due to high poverty, but people proved it wrong.
BJP state units presented a report card to Modi regarding the public service works and outreach undertaken during the nationwide lockdown period on Saturday evening in the ‘Seva Hi Sangathan’ meet.
At the beginning of the meeting, the BJP chief JP Nadda applauded Prime Minister Modi for his exemplary leadership during the time of crisis, saying that he has been praised across the globe for his actions in tackling the pandemic.
Before chairing the meet, Modi in a tweet said in these challenging times, party workers have been working tirelessly across India, helping those in need.
“For BJP karyakartas, serving the nation comes first,” he tweeted.
Top BJP leaders, including Union ministers Rajnath Singh, Amit Shah, Nirmala Sitharaman, Piyush Goyal and Giriraj Singh besides party president JP Nadda, joined the online meeting from the BJP headquarters in the national capital, while Modi connected via video link from his residence.
Here are the highlights of ‘Seva Hi Sangathan’ meet:
1. Praising the work of the BJP’s Rajasthan unit during the lockdown, PM Modi said this shows as to how a party can play a “constructive role” whether it is in power or in opposition during a crisis. The Congress is in power in Rajasthan.
2. To strike a better chord with BJP workers, Modi applauded many state units such as those of Maharashtra and Bihar in their local languages Marathi and Bhojpuri.
3. “The nationwide welfare work undertaken by BJP at such a massive scale for so long amid Covid-19 crisis is the biggest act of service in the history,” PM Modi said.
4. “At a time when everyone in the world is busy protecting themselves, you have given up your worries and dedicated yourself for the service of poor and needy. This is a great example of service, PM Modi said as he praised party’s state units.
5. “In several states, our workers knew they were taking risks, but, they continued with full dedication during the pandemic. Some workers even lost their lives while serving the people and the nation. I want to pay my respects to these people and their families,” PM Modi further said.
6. “The birth of Jana Sangh and BJP was originally intended to make our country happy and prosperous. With this inspiration, with the spirit of service, we came into politics,” PM Modi said.
7. “We considered power as the medium of service in politics. We never made power our medium of profit. Selfless service has been our resolve and our value,” PM Modi said.
8. “When a crisis came, you turned it into an opportunity. An opportunity to serve more and more people, to reduce the suffering of more and more people and bring them out of the trouble,” PM Modi told party workers.
9. “The party has so many MPs and MLAs, yet its workers give priority to service, consider serving as their life mantra, as a BJP worker I feel very proud that we are all members of such an organisation,” PM Modi said.
10. “The world must notice that BJP has 52 Dalit and 43 Adivasi MPs. More than 113 BJP MPs belong to backward class. More than 150 Adivasi MLAs belong to BJP. It shows that our party truly represents all sections of society.” PM Modi added.